Watch Dogs is fast approaching and many consumers turn their eyes towards pre-ordering to get all the extras and perks that are available. After confirming that Watch Dogs has now gone gold, it is a good time to focus on what to expect with all the different editions consumers are offered.
The new open world game Watch Dogs is set to be released globally May 27. With an epic five-and-a-half-year development cycle, there are lots of goodies that are available for the different special editions that are available, offering lots of different ways to buy the game.
“it might be hard to decide what is the most suitable edition for you”
The options vary on region and platform and of course, with different DLC. If you want a physical copy and DLC, then you need to look for Season Pass, but if you’re not interested with the DLC, then The Gold edition is a sure bet to go. With so many different editions and such plethora of options it is hard to decide what is the most suitable edition for you.
In fact, if you’re a collector, the situation is that if you want to gain access to all the goodies you’ll end up with multiple editions of the game. Of course this is not the case for a regular consumer, but for collectors there surely is a lot of content to be collected; Everything from figurines to soundtracks, exclusive badges and collectible cards and I’m not even talking about what different digital editions will offer as in-game items.
For example, below is the content from DeadSec Edition:
- A 23cm Aiden Pearce Figurine
- DEDSEC Collector box
- Watch_Dogs Artbook: artworks and illustrations that inspired the game
- Original soundtrack of the game
- Watch_Dogs map of Chicago
- Set of 4 collectible cards: discover Watch_Dogs iconic characters through augmented reality
- Set of 3 exclusive badges.
- 3 single payer missions: almost 60 minutes of additional gameplay
- Palace Pack: A police raid is planned on the luxury palace of an Internet mogul. His impressive databanks have intimate details on thousands of people…including Aiden Pearce. Break inside, wipe the hard drives and escape before the raid begins.
- Rewards (Unlocked upon completion of the ULC mission)
- INVESTIGATION BONUS: Unlock more investigative opportunities inside the network databanks.
- ATM HACK BOOST: Boost your cash rewards when hacking bank
- Signature Shot: A biometrics weapon has been smuggled into Chicago for a captain of the Black Viceroys gang. The weapon only works with the first person who holds the gun.
- Breach a stronghold, steal the package and be the first to hold the weapon.
- Rewards (Unlocked upon completion of the ULC mission):
- BLACK VICEROYS GANG COLOURS OUTFIT
- BIOMETRIC ASSAULT RIFLE
- Breakthrough Pack: A secret gathering is underway. The Chicago Club is negotiating power with Corporate CEOs. The Club has hired scramblers to block surveillance devices. Drive around the city to find the scramblers and take them out. Retrieve all names from the meeting and upload their images to the world.
- Rewards (Unlocked upon completion of the ULC mission)
- VEHICLE EXPERT PERK: Get free vehicles from your Underground Car Contact and earn discounts on select cars.
If you’re eager to see the comparison and the difference in the content between the editions, take a look at this handy chart.
Sucking in the mobile users
This also means that Watch Dogs is a prime example how games are being sold to us today. From consumers standpoint, the shift is clear. There are lots of content available from the start, but normal edition just isn’t enough to get them all. Not only that, but Watch Dogs also draws in mobile users to engage with the game even more.
“Companion app will be accessible on smartphones and tablets”
You’re able to interact with Watch Dogs and your fellow players also through a free mobile application, letting you increase the heat on rogue players. With the app you can also enter special play mode to match up players of the console version. They’ll be racing against time with their consoles while you’re tapping your mobile causing explosions and accidents while they race. This actually means that you can compete against players if you’re having i.e. very dull business meeting (I don’t encourage you to, but it’s possible).
Check the video below for more detailed description:
In addition, there is another mobile application you could try. It is a Watch Dogs Prospects –mobile game. It is a specific page that will surely peak interest of the mobile users and allows you to compete for serious prizes. Especially if you’re located in the Nordics.
The game is about completing 5 different missions with your smartphone. You’re being targeted by group of criminals and completing different kind of missions to achieve the desired outcome. You’ll be cracking different kind of symbols and ‘hacking’ targets within the local area. And of course, such games are not without incentive as this particular one offers possibility for big prizes mentioned below. So if you’re into competitions and live in the Nordics, give it a spin.
1st Prize: A trip for 2 to Chicago** and two pcs. Watch_Dogs Prospects t-shirts
2nd – 5th : A Sony Playstation 4 (500 GB) + Watch_Dogs (PS4) + 1 Watch_Dogs Prospects t-shirt.
6th – 50th Prize: An exclusive Watch_Dogs Prospects T-shirt (not available for sale)*
Bottom line is that Watch Dogs, after a long time in development, will be a massive game offering plenty of content, ways to play the game and truly unique features. It remains to be seen how well developers have been able to merge all unique features, platforms and actual content to a masterpiece of a game.